I have been struggling for the pass three months with what a good new years resolution would be for me. Usually it's just I would try and loose 50 lbs.
Looking on the Internet the top 10 resolutions for 2008 are :
1. Work less
2. Fit in Fitness
3. Tame the Bulge
4. Quit Smoking
5. Enjoy Life More
6. Quit Drinking
7. Get Out of Debt
8. Learn Something New
9. Help Others
10.Get Organized
I have to say ,most of these things I don't do. So I can't stop something I don't do and the others are things I try to do anyways. Hmmmm will come back to this ...
Over the holidays, I had a conversation with my brother about how things seem to take so much longer and things seem so much larger when were kids.
For ex sample,going to our grandparents house in Pine City Minnesota seemed to be a all day event.In reality it truly is only about a 45 minute drive.Even North Minneapolis where I grew up the drug store seemed so large when we walked by
then.Now I can almost touch the awning the over hangs the entrance.
Oh it does not stop there.I had a chance to visit my grandmother at her home.Witch I have not been in over ten years. We pulled up in the driveway that seemed oh so long when I was a kid.Now it only the 50'long driveway that it always has been.
Walking up to the front door that I remember barely reaching,Now walking into the front door feeling like I now had to dunk my head to get in.I'm only 5'8". Sitting at her kitchen table and memories rushing back in to my head doing arts and crafts at this same table over 20 years ago,then I could hardly reach up to the table.Now I barely have to extend my arm to reach to the other side.
Even our conversation felt funny. I remember talking to my grandma about the alphabet in the same chair.Now our conversation is about how long she had lived in her home and the farmland that once surrounded her home.Now 300 thousand dolor town homes surround her little old two bedroom farmhouse.
As I sat listing to my grandmother telling my brother and I about the cost of her home 65 or so years ago my mind started to drift ,I looked at my grandmother the cuteness of her gray hair and thought about how she raised four boys in this tiny little home,then glanced over at my brother now a husband and a father.
Remembering us fighting every chance we had. I could not help but think my Dad growing up in this house ,how he must fell each time he comes back for a visit.
It's just seem funny to me how things that I remember like it was yesterday have changed.Walking back in my grandmother home seems to like it was time capsule for me ,everything was just as I left it. It was a warm feeling inside.
However being it feels like yesterday.I know I am all grown up now.Heck ,I have two children of my own. I have traveled across the untied stated and have lived in three different states since I have left Minnesota.
I realized how places develop,things grow and people change.
Then it hit me I have figured it out .I know what my New Years resolution will be .
Each day I will remember and thank god for who,what,when and how I got to be the person I am today & for all the things that I have.These are things I do think of quite often,however I as I am sure we all do get caught up in the motions of day to day life,forget to do thank god more often.
I myself could not be any more lucky.
I started to have a running list(them lists err) go threw my head that started off with things like
I have a wounder significant other that loves me even on the bad days.
I have two healthy children that light up my heart with there smiles and laughter.
I have a mother and a father that I given me the tools to make it.
I have a brother that has given me guidance and courage.
I have a sister in law that has always made me fell like a individual and I could do what ever I set my mind to.
I have family that loves me just for being me.
I have an new extended family that have opened their arms with love.
I have friends that have been their threw good and bad and will always be.
It just kept going on and on ...
So with all of that instead of seating what I feel is an imposable resolution like have done in the pass.This year I will set one I will achieve. I will be able to continue each year by just adding to this list. Each day I will remember one thing about...
Who,what,when and how I got to be the person I am today & for all the things that I have.
Heck being it's not my resolution this year, just maybe I will loose that 50 lbs. I have tried for every other year !
2008 I welcome you an I look forward to our future.
Happy Pancake Tuesday!
6 years ago
3 comments:
Great post! I know what you mean about how things change. When we were kids things seemed so much bigger to us!
Your list was wonderful! Far better than any resolution, to just count our blessings.
You have written posts that made me smile.
You have written posts that made me laugh.
This one made me happy. Very, very happy.
Thanks
Ralph
Hi! My first time commenting on your blog. I have read your blog from the beginning and found you by way of Ralph. I must say I enjoyed this post very much. I never make New Year Resolutions, because I know I would never keep them. I too would LOVE to lose 50 pounds and hopefully this will happen for both of us this year. Your resolution for this year is the best I heard. So if you don't mind, I think I will borrow it. Nice meeting you and I look forward to more posts. Thank you. Lisa
Post a Comment