Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bees in the BBQ

We have some family coming in for the upcoming holidays, so I asked Nathan to get the BBQ ready because we haven't used it in a while. We have recently noticed a few bee's coming from under the cover so Nathan thought it would be best to kill them.

Here is the BBQ in question (for those of you who haven't seen it)



Nathan went to Home Depot and the man at the store warned Nathan the "bomb" he was purchasing was not for bees. If you know Nathan, you know he didn't let that stop him. He was convinced that suffocating and smoking the bees out was the best option.

Below is the "weapon" he constructed.



He thought he was pretty smart (almost genius) designing it to be easily maneuverable under what we call, "the cover of darkness".

We decided it was best for him to put his plan into action when no one else was home, but I wanted to make sure we were close in case something happened.

As I was picking Bubba up at school I heard an incredible sound. Please keep in mind Bubba's school is over a mile from the house, so I didn't even think it could be coming from the house.

I returned home shortly after to Nathan "hiding" in the house. He explained that he ignited the bomb, heard the bees moving around, and was waiting for our arrival to check out the BBQ.

The bomb accomplished exactly what Nathan wanted, and the death toll was astronomical. There was a pile of bees measuring over 2" in depth.









Nathan went to lite the BBQ to start the cleaning and noticed some fattly looking substance on the top of the side shelf. He called me out to investigate....

We removed the rest of the cover only to find the headquarters.......

























On another note, BEWARE, we think the queen flew away. Either that or one of Bubba's friends grew wings and has been living in the hive because that thing was huge!!!

8 comments:

Janell said...

Oh my godness! Bees scare me to death! I hope no one got stung!

Anonymous said...

My question: Does the barbeque work?

Ralph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ralph said...

Three things:

1. Didn't you guys have problems with flies and that grill before?

2. Is it still safe to use? I mean poison and food don't seem to go together real well.

3. Even though it borders on genius - who raised that Nathan guy?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Anonymous said...

that is crazy

Ralph said...

So bad, so bad
Dad

Cliff said...

This will be folklore in your family for generations to come.
I think Ralph needs to send a supply of ribeys every month to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Anonymous said...

That’s pretty sad, actually.

If those were Africanized bees, you wouldn’t have been able to even take the first picture. They were a probably wild honey bee, which doesn’t necessarily mean they weren’t dangerous but they don’t kill like the Africanized variety.

You could have called any number of folks to take the hive, without killing the bees, and might have even paid you for it.

The past 15 years or so haven’t been good for domestic honey bees; CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder) and Africanization have been major problems.

99.9% of the American public is unaware of the agricultural industries (read: our food!) that depend on pollinators like honey bees—everything from tomatoes to almonds.

This is a very sad testament your ignorance.

I hope you enjoyed your bar-be-que.